16 - May

Tips on Claiming Age Pension on Centrelink

Posted By: admin 8642 View(s) Comment: 0

Before You Start…

Check to make sure you are eligible. Access this link to find all Information you need to know about your claim for Age Pension and Pension Bonus in the booklet provided.

Age pension benefits are available to eligible applicants who have reached the age pension age, which is 65 years old at present. Starting 1 July 2017 the age pension age increases incrementally until reaching 67 on 1 July 2023. The following table illustrates the increases in age:

Date of birth varies from Eligible age for age pension
1 July 1952 and 31 December 1953 65½
1 January 1954 and 30 June 1955 66
1 July 1955 and 31 December 1956 66½
From 1 January 1957 67

The age pension is subject to both the Centrelink income and asset tests.

When you become eligible, apply as soon as possible. The sooner you do, the sooner your payment will start. Have the following information ready for you and your spouse or partner:

  • Bank account information as well as your BSB number
  • Tax file number
  • Residence information, including, if applicable, the date you became an Australian citizen, along with visa information and the dates you lived in other countries

You should also have the following information available:

  • Assets and income
  • Your shares
  • Your financial and superannuation shares
  • Your income streams
  • All real estate assets you own

You can apply for Age Pension online or by means of a claim form. Starting early in 2016, you can access your Centrelink online account only on myGov. Just go to Start using myGov now

If you have an online Centrelink account

Log onto it using your Customer Access Number (CAN) and password. To start your claim select Apply for a Payment and then Make a Claim.

If you don’t have an online Centrelink account

If you don’t have an account but do have a Customer Reference Number (CRN) you can go ahead and register. If you don’t have a CRN go to your nearest service centre to use your identity documents to obtain a CRN.

If you cannot claim online

In that case call 132 300 or visit the nearest service centre to obtain a personalized claim form and register an intent to claim. That will enable you to start getting paid at the earliest date possible.

The myGov staff will ask you some questions to ascertain your circumstances and personalize your claim form. You can simplify the process by contacting them first.

As an alternative to this process you can print and fill out the Age Pension and Pension Bonus form and the income and assets form.

Supporting Documentation

Be prepared to fill out some additional forms, based on your specific circumstances, to substantiate your claim. Except for identity documents you may submit most supporting documentation online or use your Express Plus mobile app. If you haven’t already confirmed your identity with myGov you will need to visit a nearby service centre to submit your confirmation of identity documents.

If you cannot return these within 14 days, request more time.

If you: Complete this from:
Are permanently blind Request for ophthalmologist/optometrist Report
are self-employed or have an interest in Business Business details
Have an Interest in a private company Private company detail
Have interest in a private trust Private trust details
Have received damages or compensation Compensation and Damages
Want another person to act on your behalf I Authorising a person or organization to enquire or act on your behalf

Submit Your Claim

If, like most people, you want direct payment of your funds into your bank account be sure to provide your bank details when you submit your claim.

Remember that you always have recourse to an appeal. For details check out reviews and appeals.

For financial advice tailored towards your personal situation, please call TGFS Financial Planning today on 1300 755 521 or email trent@tgfsfinancialplanning.com.au

TGFS Financial Planning is an Authorised Representative of Consultum Financial Advisers Pty Ltd. ABN 65 006 373 995 AFSL No 230323 (Consultum).

This is general advice only and does not take into account your financial circumstances, needs and objectives. Before making any decision based on this document, you should assess your own circumstances or seek advice from a financial adviser and seek tax advice from a registered tax agent. Information is current at the date of issue and may change.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *